Tuesday, November 23, 2010

ANTI-HATE SPEECH GOES BOTH WAYS

As I was channel surfing on the TV this morning I came across a conversation on CNN where the correspondent was interviewing a Dan Savage (Gay activist). Savage was using some very hard words and strong opinions against those who disagree with his homosexual agendas. As I listened for just a few moments, it was very clear that this “Hate Speech – Crimes” issue flows both ways.
The more Savage spoke the more he spewed out some very harsh words against his opponents. I was caught up in his words, facial demonstrations and strong conclusive assumptions he berated “as a matter of fact.” No there was no one there representing “his opposition” to either offer their take or some kind of rebuttal to such harsh words Savage was propagating. Savage’s rhetoric was filled with very strong hatred towards those who opposed his agenda. My instant reaction was not to think in defensive notions, but to see and hear such hatred Savage was demonstrating. My thoughts were, “Hey Dan, this Hate bigotry goes both ways.
Allow me to offer a few suggestions to Dan Savage or to anyone concerned in this issue we see playing out in America. Dan Savage’s Gay life style is his business and personally I don’t really care. Whatever Dan wishes to chose for his sexual orientation is Dan’s business. Surprise, I am not even worried about it. Time and circumstances will dictate the outcome of anyone’s life style regardless who agrees or not. Dan suggestion of “crimes” committed by those who oppose the Gay community pales in comparison to those crimes from the Gay community against their own Gay community. (That’s another subject all by itself).
My observation is that people like Savage is not trying to live his homosexual life style in public, but rather forcing the public to condone it and join in to advocate it. I have found that the hate and abhorrent attitudes of people like Savage against those who disagree with them is more intolerant and aggressive than the crowds who oppose the Gay life style. Savage’s words showed no respect towards anyone who disagreed with him.
The issue as I see it from those who oppose Savage’s idea or cultural philosophy he wishes to impose upon culture is he wishes to “force educate” America in the ways, behavior and sexual acts of the gay lifestyle. And Savage insinuates that it is somehow “hate speech” to oppose his agenda or disagree with him.
My argument is that the very speech, assault and verbal aggression of Dan Savage were his own kind of “Hate speech” against those who disagree with him. As Savage may wish to defame those who disagree with him with very hard accusatory words, I can argue his guilt of “hate speech” against non-gays. I wish to ask Savage, why do you “hate” non-gay people or “religious” people? Why do you use “hate speech” against anyone who opposes you with threats of criminal prosecution? Mr. Savage, you can no more “force” me to accept your beliefs as I cannot force you to accept my beliefs. It comes down to CHOICE. You chose your life style, I will choose mine. But don’t come out and accuse me of “hate speech” if I write that I disagree with your philosophy. This “hate speech” attack goes both ways, not just YOUR way.

Dr Tim McClure

No comments:

Post a Comment