Friday, April 3, 2009

A walk across the street


Years ago, I was having lunch with a well known named pastor who I was contiplating doing a short business transaction with. As we sat at lunch doing some small talk and trying to get to know one another, he began asking me what I believed and if I still held to the Biblical tenants that I have for a few decades. I laughed at him and said, "Funny how so many of you guys in your club think that those outside of your club are a wrong." I then asked him, What are you so afraid of that is outside your club? I then proceeded to explain to him that if he just had enough nerve to step out from behind his closed world, and walk across the street, he'd see that there is a whole big world out there. I then challenged him that if he would dare leave his comfort zone and walk across the street, he'd never come back. My argument to him is what I propose to you; namely to step out from behind your closed fearful world you've created to keep you safe. True, some things we need to keep safe. But to spend 10, 20, 30 or 40 years in the same mind, knowledge and paradigm is not safe, it's stagnant. Like this pastor, many in the Christian world and even in the secular world have locked themselves in a 4x4 room of repeatable quotes and secure excuses. This is not safe at all, its merely maintaining the status quo. Break out of your narrow self for once and open your ears long enough to see and hear something you've never heard or see before. Perhaps if you do, you might see or hear something new that could change your life for good forever. Thank God the woman at the well walked across the street and talked with a person she was told her whole life she should never talk to. It changed her life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment