Saturday, March 6, 2010

Promiseland Newsletter 3-10


WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?
The day was beautiful. The sun was out offering a warm coating across my skin. The wind was mild providing enough movement that made the clouds looked like they were dancing. You could hear the laughter of the children playing all across the church parking lot. The chatter of adults offered just enough tone to secure any concerns this unusual day might offer. As I looked around, I was impressed at the massive crowd of church families who came out to the small pond that was situated in the back lawn of the church. Yes, today was the day Pastor Slaggle of First Baptist in Essex, Maryland had been pushing for more than a month.
However, as a kid of 12 years of age, I paid little attention to the significance leading up to this day with exception to the fact, I was one of the ones who was going to be baptized. You see, Pastor Slaggle and the church leadership had outlaid a month long vision of growing the church with the notion of adding 100 to the church membership. Baptism was the crowning ceremony of this month long vision.
I recall my mother being right there at my side while my father was caught up in the energy of the service and ceremony. “Well glory” you could hear him shout at times through his unique tearful expression he could share. I glanced over to see who Dad was talking with at the moment I saw him lightly slap the deacon on the chest with the back of his hand. It raised a small smile to my face as I was taken in from all the hundreds of people all over the parking lot and church grounds. “Wow, mom look at all the people,” I said.
There were more than 100 people that were lined up to be baptized with me. I still recall looking around trying to capture the picture of what all of this was about. My young mind was so enthralled by the whole event. Wow and I was a part of it. I felt like I was one of those who were making all this possible as I walked down into the water. I could feel my soul rise to this grandiose vision until I caught a glimpse of all the leaves in the water. I put my hand down under the water and realized how dirty the water was.
I can’t even remember the pastor taking me by the hand and reciting the baptismal words over me. My eyes were wide open when he put me under. I was totally engulfed in the “millions” of leaves as I was plunged under the water, looking up. He brought me up while my family was rejoicing, I could think of nothing except “all them leaves and this water is dirty.”
Amazing, when I recall that story it reminds me of so many today in the church. Some of the most dynamic moments God offers us each and every service and all we can see is the dirt. Shocking isn’t it that just when God draws us into his arms for a powerful experience we lose sight of the Vision because of the distractions that fills our surroundings. Just about the time we step into “our moment” that will make history, some dirt draws us away.
God knows how many times the Vision – the Big Picture is lost because of some stupid dirty mess around us knocks us off focus. How many have lost their footing just about the time they were about to reach their Mt Everest! Look at the marriages that came tumbling down the cliff just before they reached their apex all because of some filthy mess distracted them.
Don’t allow one dirty pond filled with nasty leaves ruin your once in a life time moment in God, church or life. Please, don’t allow the dirt around us knock us off focus from this God given VISION we have received. Stay focused on the event, not the dirt. Maintain your gaze on the next five years, not the next hour of trash. Don’t allow the five words of slander destroy 10 years of sermons. I know it might be hard, but resist the scaring pain from abuse wreck 20 years of marriage. Reject the poisonous thought of moving 10 hours away from your family to save 10 minutes of discomfort.
Yes, I agree with you, the water is dirty and the leaves are nasty. Please, don’t misunderstand me. I hate the filth too, but I refuse to through the baby out with the bath water. Let me ask you now, what are you looking at? The dirt, the leaves or the ceremony?
By Dr. Tim McClure

Fishing Preachers
There were three pastors, a Baptist, Methodist and Pentecostal all sitting in a boat, fishing. "I'm thirsty," said the Methodist. "I'm gonna go get myself a Coke." So he got out of the boat, walked across the water, and came back with his Coke. "Ooh, that looks good," said the Baptist and got out of the boat. He walked across the water, got his Coke, and came back. Surprised that they could be so supernatural, and he being a Pentecostal that was not going to be out done said, You're right, I think I'll get one too." He steps out of the boat and sinks like a rock. "Hey," said the Methodist to the Baptist, "should we tell him where the rocks are?"

Proverbs to live by:
Children need more models than critics.
Jumping to conclusions can be bad exercise.
You will not raise your reputation by lowering others.
Success is … more attitude than aptitude.
Behave as you wish your children would live.

COMING EVENTS
March 2010 – Vision – Theme for March, 10:30 AM Sunday’s
March 7 – Couple’s Social – Mark Gungor @ Promiseland Café – 6 PM
March 13 – Ladies Outing – for more info call 321-216-8030
March 16 – First Lady’s birthday (Jenny) – show her you appreciate her
March 19-21 – Fellowship groups – @ a place near you – call 321-216-8030
March 26 – Youth Fun night @ Promiseland Café – call Lena 321- 848-6001
March 26 – Young adults fellowship – call Tim Jr 321-591-6708
April 4 – Easter Play - In the Shadow of the Cross – 10:30 am - Promiseland

Promiseland Church
1855 Lansing St. Melbourne, FL 32935
www.promiseland.org
http://www.oikas.biz/blog.php?user=Timmcclure
http://www.thehomebusinessacademy.biz

No comments:

Post a Comment