Wednesday, September 16, 2009


Twenty nine years ago, my family and I moved to Melbourne and founded Bible Truth Church. I moved here without the assistance, help or support of any denomination, ministry or organization. I rented a house, 1057 Byrd St, turned on the utilities and had only $500 left in the bank. I put an ad in the paper for my business; “Truth painting, for the job you can trust” and in 2 weeks I was working. I then put an ad in the paper for evangelism, “FREE HBS in the convenience of your own home 254-5777.” And Johnny Flores called that week where we landed our first Bible study who became our first two converts.
I joined the Chamber of Commerce, introduced myself to every civic leader, business & Christian radio. I contracted to paint the WWBC – NCN complex in Cocoa for exchange of radio time daily, Monday through Friday. We became known throughout the county. I rented the Eau Gallie Women’s Club (only Sunday AM & PM) for $200 a month. Small store fronts went for $1200 a month. One year later I added Tuesday nights for an additional $200 a month. We had to set up and tear down for every service for four years. In our second year I put $5000 down on 1.7 acres at Lansing St. One year later Norman took a loan for $5000, and the rest came up with $5000. I applied and maxed out 5 credit cards for $35,000 and I paid them off and an additional $15,000 in cash to build our first building. For the first five years, my company paid my salary, mission trips and building of the church building. The 20 - 25 tithe paying members paid the utilities, rent, outreach and some expense.
We moved into our new church building in July 1984. The next year I had signs all over the church; 100 for our goal in attendance. On our big Sunday we had 99 people. I wanted to go out and get a dog so I could say we had a 100. I then went full time for the church and worked my painting business on the side. In 1986 we experienced great growth. January 1986 we had 27 to receive the Holy Spirit & join baptized. In July 1986 we had 120 to receive the Holy Spirit & 50 join the church. By the end of 1986, our record attendance was 180. 10 years later, we had 4 bus routes, baptizing many every week and over 600 one Easter. Since then, we have records of over 3800 baptized and filled with the Holy Spirit.
From 1984 through 1994 we started Bible Truth Academy, Class of Ministries discipleship class every Tuesday, Outreach almost every Saturday, Bible Truth Institute once a week, two Sunday services, Thursday midweek service, and Saturday night prayer. We bought the adjoining 4 acres and years later started plans for building our existing church. Through years of corruption from local governments, three times the banks we were using went bankrupt, two of our General contractors failed, 12 subcontractors failed and $1.2 million later, we moved in to our new auditorium in January 2003 as Promiseland Church. The devil did not want the Vision of a Promiseland to come to past. But persistence, faithfulness and undying commitment of a few with their relentless faith, we did it and we’re still here.
“Through it all, I’ve learned to trust in Jesus, I’ve learned to trust in God. Through it all I’ve learned to depend upon His Word.” I have found that it cost to be a savior. Jesus faced the worse kind of trials, tests and even death. Yes, it seems lies come cheap, sin is easy, apathy is a piece of cake, but building a real church will cost everything you are and have.
This brings me to the call and reason of this letter. This coming weekend, we’re celebrating 29 years of pastoring, Promiseland’s existence and a dynamic spiritual journey. We are having Pastor Steven Sledge from the Potter’s House Church of Bishop TD Jakes to come preach this year’s Anniversary Conference. I’m asking everyone to make sure your whole family, friends and as many as you can get to be in service this Saturday night 6 PM and Sunday morning 10:30 AM for a “Stand on your feet shouting” celebration. We only do this once a year and this is your time to say with your presence that you belong to Promiseland and you support the Vision of this ministry.
Some may say that economic times are tough, but I say without God, church or a covering, you don’t know what tough would look like. I will be the first to say that if it were not for Jesus, salvation, the Holy Spirit baptism, Promiseland and a spiritual covering, I would not have a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment